Rob is in Africa.

10.02.2005

Bananas. Shocking.

What's up. Finally have some time to sit back, relax, and write a bit. I have been pretty well swamped with tasks since I arrived in the country a week and a half ago. It's actually kind of shocking to think that I have only been here for that amount of time. I speak the language passably already (good teachers, I suppose), and I'm used to living in what I would have considered primitive conditions. But hey, Mama Mipawa requires me to take at least 2 bucket showers daily, and I think I'm actually more clean now that I was back home. So that's something.
The weather in Morogoro is kind of tame so far. So far... Towards the end of this month is when the rainy season kicks up. Right now think Florida but less humid. It should reach tropical-level in a few weeks. Surprisingly, I am becoming less tan being here. Men all dress quite well, its expected to wear button down shirts and slacks at all times. And here I brought all these clever t-shirts... I learned how to wash my clothes with a bar of soap and iron without electricity this weekend. It took me about 3 hours to wash and iron 3 pants and 4 shirts. Ugh.
Life around town is pretty cool still. Everyone in my community knows me now, and I have quite a few conversations (as far as I can with my limited ability) when walking down the street. Mama Mipawa gave me the name of her grandfather. I guess its from this tribe called the Nyamwezi, in the Tabora region of Tanzania. I don't know if I deserved the honor, but hey, it was given. So now, I introduce myself as Masanja. Pretty tight name huh. All my teachers and neighbors all say "what's up, Masanja" (in swahili) when I see them. I'm getting used to it...
Being so close to the equator, the day's length only varies by about 20 minutes throughout the year. Thats really cool, because almost the whole country seems to be on the same schedule. Getting up just before six, and going to bed at 10pm or so. It's light from 6 to 6 everyday, and some crazy chickens and guinea fowl make this insane amount of noise to wake me up every day. It gets way dark by 7, and we usually eat at 8 or 8:30. We have to eat by lantern, and sometimes the light it puts out is so feeble that I can't really see what I'm eating (which usually is bananas. I have seriously eaten a shocking amount of bananas in the last week. Shocking.). The rest of the food is pretty chill, we have rice all the time, and beans, cabbage, spinach, some fried bread thing, and oranges. Nothing "gourmet" but its filling and the cabbage tastes like mild sauerkraut, its awesome.
My elder sister had a baby two days ago. That was interesting to come home to. I think the entire female community managed to fit into her room to see the baby. The baby is a boy, his name is Octaviani. So now I am uncle Masanja. The baby also does a good job waking me up in the morning. And throughout the night. He's a charming little fellow though, all the girls in my training group all want to come meet him.
Anyway, I think I've written enough for now. Thanks for reading. I'll post more as I find the time. Take care.

1 Comments:

  • At 10/06/2005 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, can you read Achewood down there? Cause i's been damn funny lately.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home