Rob is in Africa.

6.19.2007

I Have A Visitor

First, an update on our school push-mower project: fund-raising is going quite well; we have already received over 50% of our target amount. For those of you that donated, or are planning on doing so, thank you from all of us at Ihungo. We plan on ordering the mowers roughly a month from now, and I will keep you posted through it all.

I only have a short update today, as I have had a visitor over the last week. Kit arrived last Sunday from the Tanga region, and we’ve been spending some quality time together. She’s on leave from her school at the moment, and decided to come see the land of her man. As I am still in session and teaching, my free time has been fairly limited and we’ve just been hanging around my house watching Japanese cartoons and reading. I have a midterm break coming up in about a week, so I think we’ll use that time to explore the area a bit more thoroughly. Word on the street is that she digs Bukoba, with its lush green rolling hills. The Tanga region is one of the hottest in all of Tanzania (and Tanga town is said to be even hotter than Dar Es Salaam, which would mean that white people cannot go outside without melting), so the clement weather of this region has been a godsend. Also, Kit played basketball in university, so she’s been hooping it up on our humble, non-university dirt court, with our humble, non-university basketball team. Our rules are mostly nominal, so the games are maybe a bit of a departure from her past, what with the kids kicking the ball and whatnot. “They don’t have the fundamentals,” she said. It’s true, I suppose it’s a sign that I wasn’t born to be a basketball coach. The games are still fun though, and they help us burn off all the delicious food we’ve been eating (I’ve been trying to prepare her the foods that I’ve slowly learned how to cook over the last year and a half; sometimes I do a good job, other times I mix together bread, avocado, and bananas).

So yeah, that’s about it for today. It might be a few weeks before my next update, so in the meantime perhaps you should go to my pictures page and realize that the face of haute couture has changed. It is now called “short-sleeve fish coat.” Peace.

1 Comments:

  • At 6/19/2007 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice, man. I'm glad you're doing well.

    Call you soon, Not-for-profit NEWSSS!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home