Rob is in Africa.

10.14.2005

Bojangling

Since I last posted-
Went to a catholic church for Sunday mass.
-The music was amazing, there was singing with percussion for most of the service. The church itself was amazingly hot. I'm not familiar with a typical catholic service, but there was a lot of bending, kneeling, and standing involved. My 4-year old sister wanted to leave after two hours. I wasn't able to sit near Mama Mipawa, so I took the executive action of carrying her home (I wasn't sure if it was an 'emergency'...). It's funny, the looks a white man gets carrying a child around these parts. Anyway, I dropped her off with the older sister and returned to church just after it ended. Then I had to walk home all over again. Oh, I was a 30 minute walk from church to home. So I've been walking a bit...

Talked politics with a local teacher for 3 hours.
-It's really interesting the views that even the educated class have about America, both as a country and as a people. I hope you all are aware that you are morally corrupt. I found out, and now so have you. But the talk was pretty awesome, we got into philosophy and morality as it pertains to our respective countries. That is a really hard conversation when you have a language barrier. A really hard conversation, indeed.

Got a plastic bucket and some sticks, joined in on a traditional drum circle type thing.
-The kids were pretty excited to have an "mzungu" join in. Seriously, the rest of the drummers were about 10 years old. The dancers were older, and drunk. They dance like Elaine in that one episode of Seinfeld. I'm not kidding. Also, I think I managed to prove that not all white men have no rhythm. I wasn't going all Phil Collins on them, but I handled myself admirably, I think.

Coined a new phrase
-Myself and "Stevesie", another of the volunteers, decided this one guys shirt was pretty amazing. Not like scrumtrilescent style, but up there. We decided it was "bojangling". As in the song, but way more intense. Try it out, see if it fits you. I think perhaps it is the best word the English language has to offer.

Thats it for now. Other than that I've been doing the same old. Learning and surviving.
Take care. Hit me up on the two-way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home