Rob is in Africa.

1.30.2006

Sitting alone in my Pawpaw Tree

As I was putting on my backpack today to roll on into town, a dead bird fell out. An ominous beginning, no? Since the internet cafe is my first stop, I haven't had anything drastic happen....yet. We'll see though. Today is the first day I will go to the TRA (the IRS of here) and attempt to thwart the customs men from charging a box I got sent. Apparently they are legendarily capricious and sometimes charge quite a lot, up to fifty American dollars, for someone (white) just to receive a package. However, word on the street is that they are -gasp!- bribe takers. Sometimes a little under the table grease gets the package over the table a bit easier. The best part is, they're not pretentious about their bribes. From what I hear, anything and everything flies. If you get a big box of candy, alright we'll take a Snickers! Some new shoes? Gimme them laces. So I guess its sort of a game to see how and what you can give them to retain the rest of your belongings. I've never tried this sort of haggling, but my Swahili has been on point lately, so I'll give it a go. I even asked Ester to give me some greetings in the local tribal language, Kihaya. I practiced them on the "mzungu" walk into town, with inspiring success (by the way, nearly every email I got since that last post has involved that word somehow referencing me. Thank you for the empathy, my fellow wazungu...). Every person whom I greeted properly stopped walking and turned around to face me with a jaw-hanging-to-their-chest amazed sort of look, which generally broke into a giant smile and some sort of response which I couldn't follow. It made me realize how much of an effect learning Kihaya could have on my stay here. Sure, a lot of the foreigners learn Swahili, thats pretty common. Some of them are even fluent. But its not every day an mzungu rolls on by with a truly local greeting. At first I was planning on not learning Kihaya, as greater Bukoba is the only place its spoken in the world, but now I'm reconsidering. Sure, I'll never use it again, but who knows what could happen while I'm here. It may even save me a Snickers bar and shoelaces at TRA. We'll see...
In other news, I've got a few questions for y'all. I mentioned sometime that I was planning on trying to implement a music program at school. The secondary schools, they are all business. There is no art program or music program (one and the same?), and I think the students miss out on something. So I'm hoping for....exposure of music I suppose. There is hope, as some of the local drum music is great. There is sadness, as most everyone prefers American rap over it. Right now my plan is to petition Peace Corps for a grant to get some sort of simple instruments (read: recorders) with which I can teach the students some basics of music. In conjunction with that, I will have a music hour once a week in the computer lab (Aaron willing...) where I show them different types of music. We'll see how it works. I already talked to the headmaster, and he gave me a "you're on your own, but that sounds great!" kind of statement. So I guess I'm looking for ideas. Despite my plans, I really don't know where to start. Does anyone have any great memories of something music-related from school? Or a method of learning about music they particularly enjoyed? Preemptive thanks for the help has been given.
Second, one of my fellow teachers, a young guy with the unfortunate name Oswald (no offense if you are reading this and also named Oswald) has been asking me a lot about how he can go to university. I have been trying to give him ideas and encouragement, but there is a real issue with funding here. He did extremely well in his biology exit exams from form 6, and is looking to go into medicine. The amazing thing about his story is that he was orphaned at the age of 7 or so, and some sort of orphans' trust fund paid all his school fees up through A-level of secondary school. Unfortunately, this fund has never had a student progess with the drive and ability of Oswald; he is the first to have attending a university as a legitimate prospect. They are not equipped with the kind of funds to send him even to public university. I tried seeing about loans or scholarships, but both are in rare supply, so that's out. I've given him the best advice I have, but as it stands unless a benefactor appears I somewhat doubt he will continue his education. So my question is this: Does anyone know of any sort of grants/scholarships/places to find funding for a case like his? Or does anyone have any advice that I could pass on to him? Again, anything helps (knowledge-wise, keep your money in your pockets for now).
That's it for now. I am in the slow process of posting some pictures of my house and whatnot. My aunt had the brilliant idea to have a caption contest. So if you see a picture that strikes you as needing a witty caption, be free and add it. Otherwise, take care, and congrats Mikey G. on getting married, big fella.

6 Comments:

  • At 1/30/2006 4:51 AM, Blogger Scott said…

    Robert, I'm very impressed with the dedication on the music/art program. Your drive makes me feel like such a slacker over here! :) Keep the posts coming, bro.

     
  • At 1/30/2006 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bro keback Mt-

    I have trouble cationing, I am told to log-in as a blogger. That kind of garbage doesn't fly. Turn your photos open for everyone... Thank you for posting the one with the lightning bolt. It's in my portfolio right now.

    Got good news. Call me when you've time for me to call you.

     
  • At 1/31/2006 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Robert,

    Nice job with the music program, as a suggestion I always enjoyed singing (but no one else in my class liked me to). A rousing rendition of "Oops I did it again" should get your pupils down with it.

    Does the scholarship needing student plan on attending college in the Tanzania or another country? And would he plan on living/working in Tanzania after college? Sorry, but I think there are scholarships available online but I'd need a bit more informaiton before I wasted the time.

    In other news, Scott Boyd starred in a Japanese version of Brokeback Mountain, and Ivan is salty.

    By the way, if one wanted to visit, what is the best time of year there?

    -Harlow

     
  • At 2/01/2006 12:30 PM, Blogger stearns003 said…

    Rob -
    RE the grants, check w/ Peace Corps to see if they have anything to offer him. I know here in the DR there are a few programs for things like that. Returned volunteers are also a great source of help for that... either from your home state or from your country. RE the music... that sounds awesome. If you want, I can try to put you in touch with a couple music people from home - a past band teacher, a pastor, and my mom. :o) Shoot me an email if you want: stearns003 @ gmail.com
    Best of luck in all that! I'm still searching for ideas for my community... other than trying to keep the wives in the community!

     
  • At 2/07/2006 1:21 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    Hey guys, the internet cafe got new computers that have Arabic writing on their keys and its scaring me.
    Mr. Scott-
    Perhaps if I hadn't been a slacker for most of college I'd be there with you, being a slacker. I've got to make up for lost time, bro.
    Andrew- Love ya, always have. I want ta marry ya. (from Braveheart, said with Scottish accent and dreamy Mel Gibson eyes)
    Harlow-
    Hows the cloak and dagger world of forensic accounting? The prospective student plans on attending univ. here in Tanzania, and he wants to practice homeopathic medicine after he graduates, but I don't know where. Any ideas? I know its vague...The best time to visit will be when I finish and go traveling more romantic parts of the world. For here, somewhere around September or so the weathers good and I have a month break or so.
    Cuz- yeah, sure I'd love to hear from them and get ideas. Peace Corps isn't too keen on grants which benefit single individuals, too. Ah well...

     
  • At 7/26/2006 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
    If you have a moment, please have a look at my africa twin site.
    Good luck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home