Rob is in Africa.

9.23.2006

One Year of Solitude

Today as I was walking in to town, I passed some convict laborers. They were wearing the same, easily identifiable, bright orange jumpsuits that you all know (and love?). I passed them at work around a police guest house a bit outside of town. I don't know what a police guest house is, but its not important. What was ironic to me was the work these convicts were engaged in. Every one of them had a little hand-held sickle and was crouched over some grass around the guest house, slashing away. A policeman stood over them, supervising their work. I couldn't help but picture in my head those convicts wearing the school uniforms of Ihungo, and the policeman being dressed like a teacher. It would be an easy switch- swap out his club for a cane and the transformation is complete. Otherwise, it was exactly the same. To be honest, seeing such an easy comparison between the way the law treats criminals and the way school administrations treat students saddens me. What to do, what to do..? My grant to provide them with push-mowers is completed and awaiting review, but that's not going to changes any attitudes. I'm not trying to be a whiner here, just wondering what more I can do...

Anyway, to lighten up a little bit, I've got some good news. Yesterday was my training groups one year anniversary in Tanzania. My dad talked to me last week, and said something like, "Doesn't seem like a whole year has passed, does it?" My response: "No, it feels like more." Its nice to feel like I'm starting a new year. Now that I have a comfortable grip of the language, I can get more involved. I'll keep you all up to date. Happy anniversary!

4 Comments:

  • At 9/23/2006 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's kinda messed up. If I remember right, the kids you're teaching have to pay big time to go... so are only the trouble-makers forced to do the manual labor or is it more democratic than that? Do your own students ever get that chore? Are the any other chores that the school exploits these students to get done?

    Although, it seems there is not so much difference between here and there. When we were in NHS, remember the semesterly 138 cleanup? I see convicts doing that all the time...

    There are more laptop computers in the penal system (for prisoner use) than there are in the states of Tennesee, Alabama, and Mississippi combined. I don't know if that speaks more towards the convicts or the states, but it's interesting nonetheless.

    Don't get yourself into trouble, bro

     
  • At 9/23/2006 11:43 PM, Blogger Scott said…

    Congratz on the one year anniversary!

     
  • At 9/26/2006 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One year...solid. When you come back to Seattle and we get into any beef with some Africans your knowledge of the language may save us.

    Best of luck,

    Anon.

    PS. There are more laptop computers in Tanzania than there are in Cambodia, Myanmar, and Laos combined. Ajabu!

     
  • At 9/27/2006 2:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am sorry to say that I have replaced you in beer pong, but I think it is for the better. Sasha and I dominate the fork why circuit these days when we feel as though we need to teach all the plebes how to play beer pong. We went 12 - 0 one night.....so Sasha is in good hands. Hope all is well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home