Rob is in Africa.

8.05.2006

Blow Your Mind on My Tests

Hey y'all, what's up?
On the way into town, I had some gripe that I was planning on writing about. But now, when I am here at the internet cafe and the pressure is on, I can't remember what it was. Its like stage fright, either form of it...

So instead of griping, I'm going to post the midterm tests which I just administered to my unwitting students. They were pretty hard, the average for my form 6 students was a 42% and for my form 5 students it was a 63%. I'd like to think this difference is because the kids in form 5 have only learned physics from me, and thus avoided contamination. But more likely, the form 6 test was just more difficult. The amazing thing is that one student in form 5 got a 100%..! If you read that test, you will see how impressive a feat this is. Anyway, I have taught my students all the ideas that these exams cover, so any of you that are interested in what physics I've been teaching (probably just Ivan; the rest of you just don't care *boo-hoo-abloobloo*), ch-ch-ch-check it out:

Form 5, page 1
Form 5, page 2

Form 6, page 1
Form 6, page 2

One other thing, if you are an avid reader of my rambles, then you might recall that I asked if anyone knew a good way to get push-reel mowers. Nothing came up right away, but I've kept at it and it looks like we might actually succeed in getting 10 of them. Aaron found some locally, I've written my first grant, and the school has promised its assistance. We'll see if it flies. I'll keep you posted, but if everything works out as planned these students will be spared countless hours of nonsense manual labor. Yes, I know manual labor builds character. I am content in decreasing their character.

4 Comments:

  • At 8/05/2006 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bro -

    Bad News. I have a push mower and it is god-damned awful, using it is like pushind a heavy wheelbarrow through sand. Waaaaaaaaay to little on the ol' effort-to-payoff ratio. Plus, it has given me blisters that turned into calluses. On the inside of my thumbs. *A bloobloobloo. A bloo bloo*

    Boo-urns to that.

    The good news is that it is very very fun, but only for like the first five minutes. So I guess if you have enough students, you can swing the Tom Sawyer thing and tell them that they each can have a turn mowing. Maybe you can get a rat-on-a-string out of the deal.

    I think you erred on one of the form 6 tests. Remember that for a single switching input, the average error
    of the short-circuit power obtained with the effective capacitance
    is less than 2% for the example circuits as compared with an
    RLC π model. So buddy, you always got double-check the k-factor based models to estimate short-circuit power dissipation in CMOS gates with complex interconnects.

    That's okay. Rookie mistake.

     
  • At 8/06/2006 2:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice tests, did you write them yourself? Looks like you are teaching the 121, 122, 123 series and I bet you have that stuff down like you wished you did 3 years ago. 100 percent is pretty awesome, you should throw him a pizza party. If they don't have pizza, then a rice party might be just as fun. Sounds like you have done your job well, what scores did they need to get to qualify for the next year?

     
  • At 8/08/2006 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ......

     
  • At 8/15/2006 12:46 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    andrew-
    i imagine the push mowers are a little better than cutting the grass with a 6" hand sickle. maybe not, but remember, you are lazy. and you are full on nonsense when it comes to physics. it would be like me trying to teach you about how to make a good art. one good art.

    ivan- man i would own the 120 series now. the closest thing to a party i can do is buy him a soda and let him watch a movie (probably 'the notebook') with him. they need to get above a 25% to continue. sounds crazy easy, i know. but here, an "a" is from 75% up, and it goes down accordingly.

    Shahram- ......you are no friend of mine.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home