Rob is in Africa.

10.30.2005

Leaving, sick, spider, water, questions

We are now down to 36 trainees for the Peace Corps. Its pretty rough on all of us, but the Corps is "Early Terminating" one of our group. Reasons: Missing 2 language learning sessions and displaying a bad attitude. This is something that really rubbed me the wrong way. Its not just the attrition, and the missing a friend. This country is begging for teachers, desperately. I would have thought the PC recognized the dire need, and would truly try to fill that need. Unfortunately, we were all reminded that we are in a government organization. This means that it is highly bureaucratic (sp?), and run largely on forms and paperwork. On paper, Brian might not represent himself well. However, in person he's a great guy. He was going to teach me meditation. And so they are sending him home. I suppose it was inevitable, but it still weighs on all of us.
Anyway, I apologize for beginning this post with sad news, but its weighing on me. Now, as to my week. I got sick for one. That was something. For those of you that have been ill in a 3rd-world country...wow. Its really an experience. Mama Mipawa's idea to cure me was for me to drink Coca-Cola and eat cow stomach. I told her water and fruit would do, but thanks. But I have recovered fully now, I have no idea what it was, just that it was like the worst fever/chills, muscle pains, and "other" that I've had in a long time. I have at least one embarrassing story to tell from this, but perhaps a public blog is not the tactful place.
Also, you might recall that I have a sometimes slight sometimes severe case of arachnophobia. Hmm...well, the other day, I reached down to grab my bag off the floor, and something moved on it. Onto my hand. Hello Mr. Big Tarantula. I screamed (loud and piercingly, I'm sure) and flailed until the tarantula was on the floor. It just sat there with no cares at all. It was the size of a tennis ball of so, a nice dark tan, and extremely hairy. And I was probably the most scared I've been in my life, probably. I yelled to Mama "MAMA NIMEOGOPA SANA!!!" KUJA!!" This translates "Mom I am terrified! Come!" She came in, saw the spider, and did the sweetest move she could have done at that point in time. She whipped her sandal off in less than a second, and with 3 or 4 deft swings, the tarantula was defeated. She proceeded to tell me that it was "very bad" to have that in my room, and that they are "very poisonous". Oh good. So, if you are keeping a tally, in 5 weeks I have had a poisonous scorpion and a (very big) poisonous spider on my hand. Now all that is left is a snake. Lets cross on fingers on this one huh? The other day a neighbor of mine killed a black mamba. Yep...
So the water here, despite containing mind-boggling bacteria and amoebae prior to boiling, tastes pretty decent most of the time. I've accepted the fact that my water will always be warm. This is a fact of life. What I have not ceded to is the times that my water tastes exactly like the smoke that I often smell from the plastic fires. I asked about this, and apparently the process of boiling on a charcoal stove leads to this taste in water, occasionally. It is truly awful. Imagine moving from the Pacific Northwest into the beginning of the "summertime" very close to the equator. You get thirsty. And there is nothing thirst-quenching about this smoke-water. My solution is perhaps not better than the problem. I found a syrup mix for water that gives water either orange or blackcurrant flavor. It comes in a big plastic bottle and is quite potent. The reason it is sketchy? Its name: Chemi-Cola. Yes, exactly like it sounds. The first time I saw that name I just started laughing. You know how some products just would not succeed in America, or perhaps were English is just a bit more prevalent? I believe the product Chemi-Cola would fail if Tanzanians understood its name. But they don't, and it tastes better than smoke. So I guess the long and short of it is that I am a Chemi-Cola man now.
My mom wrote a few questions that are worth sharing, also. First, what religions are prevalent? Well, right now its Ramadan, and the country is about a third Muslim. So that has a really interesting effect on life. There is about 40% Christian/Catholic/Protestant... The remaining minority is Animist, tribal, etc... Witch-doctors still exist, and still curse people and provide crazy medicine. But the missionaries succeeded in their goals, it seems. Churches are a huge social thing here (I felt obligated to go, after all...)
What do women wear? Muslims wear the whole body covering. Most other women wear whats called a "kanga". Look it up if you can. They are really brighly printed wraps, with slogans written on them. This is probably 9/10 of the women, always wearing these. The younger ladies wear very American styles of dress- jeans and a blouse or shirt.
That's all I've got time for today. Take care and if you have a question, drop that bomb on me, I'd love to hear it.

12 Comments:

  • At 10/30/2005 8:44 PM, Blogger Scott said…

    Hey Bert,
    Sorry to hear about the beaurocratic blues. It's been great reading the blog, though. Miss you bro!

     
  • At 10/31/2005 12:49 AM, Blogger Schaefer said…

    Bertrand,
    Is it too expensive to buy bottled water there? I remember drinking a lot of bottled water but I was probably a spoiled American on vacation. Probably. Spiders freak the shit out of me, too. Just reading your story made me cry like, uh, someone who cries a lot.

     
  • At 10/31/2005 12:50 AM, Blogger Schaefer said…

    Haha, Scott looks like a Welshman. Doesn't he? Look like a Welshman?

     
  • At 10/31/2005 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good work with the blog and keeping me entertained. I think if I'd seen that spider I would have shit a brick.

     
  • At 11/01/2005 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, basically, your old black gramma matron lady is like twice the man you are. I mean, let's look at the facts:

    FACT 1) She danced you under the table. UNDER THE TABLE.

    FACT 2) She had to kill a 2-pound spider for you.

    FACT 3) She attempted to fight your cold with a cow's stomach and coke.

    Though it might not be you. I think she's just awesome. Conclusions reserved till later.

    Too bad about your meditation buddy. Hope things work out.

     
  • At 11/01/2005 3:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    FOBERT... long time no talk... I read the original two and then just spent the last hour 35 min or so reading the rest... that's good work.. so much happening.. I'll probably call you sometime when I get off work cause you should be just getting up. miss you and counting the days till your return.. Punisha

     
  • At 11/01/2005 3:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    alright... so we got cut off... I'm going to see how much it costed me for the brief yet very informative chat we had and then probably call you back sometime when I get off work again miss yah
    Nic

     
  • At 11/03/2005 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, just wanted you to know that I love reading the blog- you and Scott have some great stories. I'm loving NYC; hanging out with Amy Levenson and Amy Sung.
    Take care and be careful of poisonous creatures.

     
  • At 11/04/2005 12:57 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    hey guys
    thanks for the comments.
    scott- hows japan man!? are you rocking the karaoke or what?
    andrew-
    yes, of course my mama is way manlier than i am. you should have known that. honestly...
    brandon-
    yeah, i could buy bottled water. one of my friends lives on it. but i use that money for beer. so the occasional chemi-cola purchase chases my smoke-water blues away.
    pun- thanks for the call and congrats again man. im glad you didnt call me at 1am like luka.
    bri- im glad new york is working out. is amy #1 calling you mama bri yet? take care

     
  • At 11/11/2005 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Kid, If you get tired of Chemi-cola, you can always use a little apple cider vinegar. . .you'll get used to the taste and it's good for digesting whatever you have had the good fortune to eat (remember, I've been there and ate some of that stuff : )

    Also, thanks for getting me hooked on soduku. It's been keeping me so far out of trouble I don't get anything done.

    Love, m

     
  • At 11/11/2005 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    PS Oops, that's sudoku . . .that's what my brain does after 2 AM. : )

     
  • At 7/26/2006 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
    If you have a moment, please visit my africa twin site.
    I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home