Rob is in Africa.

2.07.2006

My Foot-In-Mouth Habit

I don't want to start a post by saying "Well, not much has happened since the last time I posted" as that immediately bores people. If you are already bored, I'm apologize, but also never come to Tanzania. It took two hours to get our dinner after we ordered the other night, and they only took our order after we'd been there almost an hour. The best part? They forgot two out of eight peoples' food. The real best part? We've all adjusted to life here, so we weren't surprised and no one got particularly upset. Tanzanians aren't really known for their punctuality. In fact, if a Tanzanian arrives on time for a meeting, his fellows who arrive late ask him why he is asking like an mzungu. There is mzungu-time and Tanzanian-time. They differ by somewhere between 30 minutes and a couple hours, depending on the urgency of the business to be conducted. Are you real hungry? No problem, two hours. Need to check your back account balance? Only half an hour today you lucky lion. And so on. Our teachers meetings at school almost always start late, and then run late, which is too bad, as the students just sit in the classes wondering where we are. Ah, c'est la vie.
My weekend was eventful for a change. For those of you going to see the World Cup this year (Sasha and Ivan, curse you both with a million fleas), I watched a bit of the African Cup over the weekend. As you can imagine, the competition is quite good. Aren't their 4 or 5 teams from Africa in the World Cup this year? Anyway, I went to a fellow teachers house and watched the games with them. It was funny, they thought I was completely naive as to how soccer is played. Granted, I'm not an expert by any means, but they were telling me things like "Ok, that man just shot at the goal. If it would have entered the goal, his team would get a point." I felt sassy, so I mentioned how Senegal was playing a 4-3-3 formation, and they all stopped and looked at me. Then they offered me a beer. I think I made the crucial difference with that comment. The games were good, tonight are the semis. Nigeria v. Ivory Coast, and Egypt v. Senegal. Everyone's abuzz with anticipation. I will enjoy watching Egypt play again because their coach looks like an angry Egyptian Will Ferrell. Oh yeah.
In more meaningful news, I went to a local elder's house for lunch on Sunday. It went pretty well, I managed only one foot-in-mouth. We got on the subject of traditional foods of differing areas throughout Tanzania, and one of us brought up my archnemesis- dagaa. Dagaa are a type of fish. Each one is a thin two inches in size, and is dried and sold with several hundred of its foul brothers. If you were to spend five minutes walking around any large market, the memory you would have would be of an evil smell that pervaded every nook and cranny. That would be the smell of dagaa. Now the great thing about dagaa is that once they are rehydrated and cooked, they taste just like they smell. Isn't that wonderful? No it isn't. It is the opposite of wonderful. So the elder and myself are discussing the foods we like, and I guess it must have been him that mentioned these little blighters. Well, I took my trademark stance on dagaa, using the harshest words possible to say how much I dislike it. He took it in good humor, as Tanzanians always do. Not fifteen minutes later, his wife, who had been cooking lunch for us for the last hour, arrived with ugali and, foot-in-mouth, dagaa. Oh good. Ugali is corn flour and water, thats it. It is like an awestrikingly flavorless dumpling. Its strong point is that it is like tofu in that it tastes like what you serve with it. Well, most days this is its strong point, as there are great Indian spices here. However, when it is served with dagaa, this becomes a massive flaw. For those of you who don't like trout or steelhead or some other freshwater fish due to its "fishy taste" please empathize with me here. The fishy taste of dagaa is enough to make trout blanch and transform into lobster. So not only was I stuck eating a mound of it, choking through a mound of it, sad bite by sad, hesitant bite, I had also somehow insulted the food my host was serving me. It was like a fishy-foot-in-mouth, and thats the worst of them all. But no one seemed to care, and I must not have been too offensive. The man invited me to travel with him in March to his home village for a week. It is almost a day's travel away, and I will be the first white man to ever stay there, he says. We'll see, it sounds tempting in an uncomfortable, meaningful experience kind of way. I think Calvin's father would say that it would "build character" and its only for a week. So I will probably go.
That's all I've got for now. I heard the Seahawks took second in the Super Bowl. I would have rather they took first in that particular game, but at least they made it for once. I hope all of you who went had a good, safe (ahem) time. Peace

13 Comments:

  • At 2/07/2006 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The 4-3-3 is a crap formation, easily susceptible to flanking attacks from a 5-1-3 offense.

    Bryon's going to go to Australia to watch some aussie rules football and Rugby. This is very manly of him, as I'm pretty sure I remember reading that any team can grab a spectator and force them to play for them. It's in the Australian consistitution.

    Sorry about the bad fish. There's nothing badder than bad fish...

     
  • At 2/08/2006 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Damn, I think I just got in trouble at work since I started busting up laughing about the fish.. you're one crazy mzungu. I'm always amazed at how things that offend people here don't have the same effect elsewhere, you should've tried to sleep with the guys wife to test the limits of their patience, thats always a fun thing to do, especially in foreign countries. I'm not suprised that everyone has such a blazay attitude about everything over there, I mean they could do everything all precise and on time but after all that they'd still be living in Africa, and not romantic Africa either. I don't know about your brother but I personally like the 5-3-2, which allows for quick counter attacks, but thats just my far better opinion. Anywho, stay baby free.

    -Shawn

     
  • At 2/08/2006 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You people don't know crap. Use the 4-4-2, have speed on the outside and hulking defenders in back--right Andrew?
    cal

     
  • At 2/09/2006 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's a good point Cal, but the 4-4-2 only works when your main hulking defender outweighs the fast little bastards by 100+ pounds and can hipcheck them like the wrath of god. I was speaking hypothetically, and I doubt there are many such weight diparities in a professional-level soccer game.

    Robert - you should go lion hunting. That would be a cool thing to do. Actually, don't really do that. Just tell everyone you did, so you don't die like in that shitty Val Kilmer movie.

     
  • At 2/09/2006 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you have the speed in your
    forwards the 2-5-3. Is the best,
    because when they clear it out you
    a huge second wave of attackers.

    Don't go Lion hunting because guided
    big game hunts are for suckers.
    Just ask Cabellas big game hunter.

    ~~Lance

     
  • At 2/09/2006 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did you just serve Cabella's Big Game Hunter? That's the kind of talk that'll get your glowing red dot shot from three miles away...

     
  • At 2/10/2006 12:40 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    Yeah Andrew whats the deal with your 5-1-3 plan? Did the team get a red card, or is there one really fat guy on it who counts as two people (like airlines do now).
    Shahram- Blase, with the little line over the e. You're better than that.
    And who is Pappa Hemingway, I am assuming someone who has played it in the past at Dantes. I'm assuming...

     
  • At 2/10/2006 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Two goalies. Think about it.

     
  • At 2/14/2006 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Shitty Val kilmer movie!? You did not call Ghost and the Darkness a Shitty movie. I own that movie and everytime I watch it, I nearly crap my pants. Sure it has Val kilmer in it and he hasn't ever quite matched his preformance in Saint but thats no reason to tag it with the Shitty logo. Plus its based on a true story, unlike your 5-1-3 offense.

     
  • At 2/15/2006 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Two lions, two goalies.

    Yeah, you got served. So who's shitty now? You are, my friend. You are. But also, Val Kilmer*.

    *Not counting Willow. Mad Martigan is the man.

     
  • At 2/17/2006 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bert,

    Very entertaining Blog. You know that I know about fish and I know that you know I know about fish. And let me tell you, I know that sounds raunchy!

    Take it easy Bert!
    Davis

     
  • At 2/17/2006 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Robert check this its from the Onion and it talks about Africa and the Seakawks therefore its interesting to you.

    KAMPALA, UGANDA—10-year-old Akello Semesseke, wearing the new "World Champion Seattle Seahawks" T-shirt given to him Tuesday by an anonymous NFL-licensed promotions manufacturer, expressed his gratitude for the gift while admitting he was not familiar with the sport of American football. "The Seahawks must be as generous of heart as they are victorious on the field of whatever sport they play to share their clothing with us," said Semesseke, whose entire village was given one each of the teal and gray shirts, with one exception. "My father refused his new shirt," Semesseke explained, "because although he did need one, he felt it would be disrespectful to the World Champion Eagles, who kindly gave him both a shirt and cap last year." Semesseke added that if the Seahawks had included 80 cents a day along with the shirt, he could eat.

     
  • At 2/18/2006 12:20 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    Personally I liked the Ghost and the Darkness, the Saint, Willow, and perhaps even Batman Forever. Yeah, I'll say it. I am a Val Kilmer fan.
    Davis, whats up man! I know that you know fish. I know that you know that I know that you know fish. Therefore, thank you, I miss you, and I love you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home