Rob is in Africa.

1.05.2007

In Transit; Tidings of the New Year

Hey y'all... I've been on the road for the last week or so, and still have another week of being away from site. I'll write about it all when I get back to sweet, peaceful Bukoba. I went to Zanzibar and Moshi again, and the next stops will include Arusha and Dar ("Dar" is the way we locals refer to Dar es Salaam; it shows that we're down). Its been good times, and Arusha is the tourist capital of Tanzania, so perhaps the good times will continue.

Word on the street is that we have just started a new year. I hope you are all in good places, and that '07 finds you happy and well. Its a bit strange for me to realize that this is my last year here in Tanzania (no, I'm not planning on extending my service; my masochism has a two-year shelf life). Our official close-of-service date is around late November. There's still a lot I feel like I need to do, so I'm hoping that the year doesn't pass me by too quickly. I haven't finished my first grant proposal yet, and I have three or four I want to complete; I still would enjoy learning more Kihaya and Kiswahili (although from spending time with the other volunteers I realized my Kiswahili isn't that shabby after all); my students are not yet all-powerful physics masters; my kitambi-prevention routine needs to be revamped (kitambi = beer belly); I've never learned to do a cartwheel. If you stay entertained by my posts over the next year, maybe you'll watch me slowly check these goals off, except the last one. I think cartwheels might be a hereditary thing.

I'll cross my fingers for you all, and whatever resolutions and such you may have made. A little effort towards self-improvement can go a long way, for all of us. I got into a little debate with a guy the other day, largely about what the purpose or driving motivation of life ought to be. We discussed utilitarians, and their ideas that pleasure or happiness is life's most desirable end. I guess I don't disagree with that, so I'll wish you all a good year, full of both happiness and pleasure.

7 Comments:

  • At 1/06/2007 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry to break your heart, but I can do a cartwheel like a champion. I usually include sparklers.

     
  • At 1/07/2007 4:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just got done doing India with Bri, Ivan and Scott and we talked about you wistfully on more than one occasion. I miss you, brother. Happy New Year.

     
  • At 1/09/2007 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yo Yo Yo.
    What's up?
    MotherFo!

    ~~Lance

     
  • At 1/10/2007 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lance, watch your mouth, this is a family blog

     
  • At 1/10/2007 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Lance" does not have anything to do with "www.badasscowboy.com" as his name-embedded html link would have you believe.

    www.badasscowboy.com is the sole property of Doctor's Associates Inc. All material from www.badasscowboy.com and any other World Wide Web site which is owned operated, licensed, or controlled by Doctor's Associates Inc. ("the Company") may not be copied, distributed, modified, republished, reused, uploaded, reposted, transmitted, or otherwise used outside the scope of normal Web browsing without prior written consent of the Company EXCEPT: If you are a SUBWAY® franchisee, one copy of any pertinent documents to the operation of your restaurant, may be downloaded on a computer or diskette for use within the scope of your operation of a SUBWAY® sandwich restaurant only as provided for in your Franchise Agreement, provided that you do not alter or delete any service marks, trademarks, trade names, logos, or other proprietary rights and interests. Any proprietary information remains sole property of the Company, and may not be distributed outside the scope of your operation of a SUBWAY® restaurant. The material in this site is provided for lawful purposes only and any other use or modification of the materials found in this site violates the intellectual property rights of the Company. Any material which is downloaded from our site, including but not limited to files, data and images, will be deemed to be licensed to you by the Company. The Company retains full and complete title and intellectual property rights to all materials. You may not reproduce, sell, repost, modify, or convert any materials in this site in any manner inconsistent with these terms and conditions.

    A DMCA take-down order has been sent to Google, Incorporated owner and operator of www.blogger.com. Please remove the link embedded in this website. This is your single and final chance to comply.

    Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

    NICK LOMBARDI, PETITIONER FOR DOCTOR'S ASSOCIATES, INC.

     
  • At 1/12/2007 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Damn Nick! Who you trying to get crazy with essay!? don't you know we're loco!

    I will roll you up faster than Jared after two consecutively missed purges!

    What up Fob?

     
  • At 1/16/2007 1:24 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    Andrew- you are a liar. Its all smoke and mirrors...smoke and mirrors.

    Brando- it would have been nice to kick it, hope you rocked the casbah (literally, for once).

    Lance- I don't care what Nick Lombardi says, you'll always be my bad-ass cowboy.

    Shahram- how is being classy going for you these days?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home