Rob is in Africa.

10.11.2007

At Long Last...!

Well, it finally happened. Push-reel mowers are now in action at Ihungo Secondary! It took more than six months of planning, fund-raising, and hoop jumping, but at long last, this project has reached an end. The Ihungo students now have ten new push mowers they can use to maintain our expansive grounds. We are giving them names of animals found in Tanzania: Simba (lion), Tembo (elephant), Twiga (giraffe), Kifaro (rhino), Naegeli (dogg), and so on.

Once more, let me extend a profound thanks to everyone who helped us out on this. I gave a "big speech" to the boys before presenting the mowers to them, in which I explained where the funding came from. I wish you all could have been here to hear their cheers and whoops of appreciation.

Look on the pictures page to see some pictures of the mowers that I've taken over the last few days.

5 Comments:

  • At 10/11/2007 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    John Deer would be proud.

     
  • At 10/12/2007 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Isn't it amazing! Something that most Americans would be horrified to have to use can be such a blessing to others. I hope they get many years of use out of them and they never have to go back to the way they were cutting the lawn before.

     
  • At 10/13/2007 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice work, Bro. That's a good thing you did, and I think it will be a lasting sort of contribution. You found a rad way to limit time-wasty corporeal punishment without having to be a softy on your students. All of this is kind of made up in my head, I have no real idea what goes on in I.S.S, but I like to think that you've done a sort of permanent +1 Blade of Grasscutting to these kids.

    Nice work.

     
  • At 10/16/2007 2:25 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    Corporeal punishment- ghosts come back from 'beyond the grave' and scare the students straight.

     
  • At 10/31/2007 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wait - no naegli jokes?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home