Rob is in Africa.

4.18.2006

Meet My New Lads

So the first day I introduced myself to my new form 5 students, I wrote a list of questions on the board. These were "getting to know y'all" questions, as I deftly put it. As I went through them, I thought that some of the answers were pretty interesting, in different ways. These 'kids' are mostly between 18 and 22, and have already had four years of instruction in the English language, if not more. That being said, here are some of their answers.

Question 1: What is your name?
For this one, there was a pretty awesome range. First, there were the cool traditional African names (Magesa Nwizambi, Lameck Cleophas), then there were the names where the parents must've been quite religious (Innocent Charles, Pious Paul, Praygod Bernard Sawe...awesome huh) and last were the hybrids (Colodatus Cosmos, Mgeta Danger). Yes, all of this names are amazing. But my favorite, just for the sound of it, is Shwalb Yusuph. Really just the name Shwalb. Roll it around on your tongue, see how it fits you. I hope I have given you married couples some ideal names for your future little ones...

Question 2: What are your hobbies?
By and large, all the students wrote "playing football" (Davis, this is soccer in countries other than America). But some of the more unique responses were- "Running marathons." I guess this is Africa, they've got some good runners here. "Playing music and reading novels." That's cool. I got one of my basketball players hooked on Harry Potter already. "None outside of school." Pretty fitting, these kids do study a lot more than we did in high school, but its kind of sad too. Here's my favorite- "To understand what is going on." What a wonderful hobby. I can imagine some guy who is always confused, walking around like Mike Hardesty, except when its "hobby time", when he finally understands what is going on (for Hardesty this is in math class).

Question 3: Why do you like physics? (I know, ridiculous question...)
I got a lot of responses centered around future employment. Most wanted to be engineers or doctors (one wrote "doctor of the human heart surgery"). Others maybe forgot their English a little bit- "I want to be a pharmician." and "To understand earoplanes." I'm not sure if he meant "physicist", but another who he wanted to be a physician. I guess that makes logical sense, if he is studying physics... Some clever fella also wrote he enjoys physics because it is "the simplest subject." I wonder if he is either very smart or very sarcastic. Or maybe he doesn't know that I'm about to drop the physics bomb on him. Figuratively, not like Hiroshima...sorry...

Question 4: Why do you dislike physics?
I forgot that Tanzanians don't like voicing complaints when I wrote this question. The result was that 95% of the answers said something like "I like physics only" or "I like to not dislike physics" or were left blank. One said he doesn't dislike it as it will be the "the basis of [his] life". That is a hardcore student. But the most accurate answer is because it is a "headache subject." I really couldn't agree more. Luckily when I was studying it at UW, I had a little headache cure brewed by my friend, Mr. Pabst.

Question 5: Any comments/questions/expectations?
This was the part where their English skills really shone. I'll write a few verbatim.
"I'm great to meet you Robby AKA Masanja." "My coment to you tearch I request you to have more effort, so as to make me perfect in it as you." "Your expecation is not bad is good." "I comment that it is so sweat because does not need speculated answer." Those are not my typos, I double-checked. I suppose its bad that I am highlighting my students' lack of English skills. I doubt I'm helping them with little phrases like "What's crackin" and "Are you illin?... Like a villian." One last request: "Mr. Masanja, I have a comment about getting the one who can tell me more about the world. And I would like you to be with me, in all things, so that I may learn more from you. And if possible, I would like to get more friends from your country. Thank you. The end." Isn't that kind of sweet/cool? If any of you would like to be friends with Mr. Daniel Banyanka, let me know.

9 Comments:

  • At 4/18/2006 9:00 AM, Blogger PsychOphObic said…

    Man, you're in such a cool place.
    Teaching English for one is a tough job, but teaching English in a different environment must be a real challenge. Keep it going!

     
  • At 4/18/2006 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should sing "you've got a friend in me" from Toy Story to Mr. Daniel Banyanka. Mostly because that would make him immediately realize how lame an American friend would be.
    Sounds like getting physics-al is going to be more fun than an OLJ record.

    -Harlow

    ps: still would be interested in visiting you in Africa at some point, but not sure if that's a possibility. Let me know

     
  • At 4/18/2006 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmm, typo in that last post. OLJ should be ONJ, I think we all would've noticed that pretty quickly.

     
  • At 4/18/2006 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How can you make fun of poor African students who are earnestly trying to learn a foreign language. You're a jerk. But I really dug the Taco Bell analogy, you should try that on the students and see how it comes across. PS when you were in Uganda, did you notice a raging war. I heard there was one raging recently.

     
  • At 4/18/2006 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Although these students are not the best spellers, their english speaking skills are by far superior to most native english speakers.
    Hopefully you will have made a difference when the students take their end-of-year examinations.

     
  • At 4/18/2006 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YOU ARE LIVING IN AFRICA?!?!?!?!?!?! WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!?!?!?!?!?

     
  • At 4/20/2006 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.kirotv.com/news/8855692/detail.html


    HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE???

     
  • At 4/20/2006 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bro-

    You should ask them why they don't like complaining. What cultural imperative has made these folks, who have been relatively screwed over by where they live and how their governement treats them , feel like they can't bitch about, at the very least, physics taught by a ghostface? America was founded by people who complained about physics (hell, we burned people who understood it) so I think that rather than teach physics in Tanzania, a much more enlightened and menschy goal would be to teach folk to complain about it.

    Like the anti-Dead Poet's Society.

    -Andrew

    P.S. You should also teach them how to Moonwalk.

    P.P.S. Ah heee hee. Hoo!

     
  • At 4/22/2006 4:03 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    Mr. Phobic- Its not so much me teaching English as it is me teaching physics in English. These students are taught English by teachers who also speak/write very poor English, so it is sort of self-perpetuating.

    Harlow- Dude, what if he got an American friend like James Brown (pre-jail). That is not a lame American friend. Also, I feel like a fool for not know what ONJ is. Also, for sure it is a possibility. I'll email you sometime and give you all the grimy details.

    Those who are sad I mentioned their lack of English skills- Yeah, it happens. I try my best to correct when I can, but I use my own brand of English, so I'm not really one to talk. Even the school headmaster has a strange grasp of the language. The other day he told the students to study hard so as not to be "mere stooges of physics." That is possibly the coolest phrase I've ever heard in my life.

    Knugs- Act like you didn't know, fool. Just act. How's your bizness been, bro?

    Kenji- That was a bit out of context wasn't it? But yeah, wow.... Did you see the size dimensions? Yeesh.

    Andrew- Dude that condom thing happened largely because so many of the people high up in the government here are akin to religious zealots (unlike America, right?). What happens is they say not to promote condom usage because why? Because it promote pre-marital sex. So many of the really passionate religious leaders speak out against condoms, as they foster sin. In a place where the AIDS rate is at least 8%, but likely much higher...ugh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home