Rob is in Africa.

4.22.2006

You Gotta Help Me Out, Yea-eah

I have a couple requests for assistance today, no stories about death spiders or bad English or anything.

First, our campus is pretty large, maybe the size of an average high school campus. Except where other schools have parking lots and sports fields, we have grass. Now, most schools also have groundskeepers (sometimes of the Scottish variety) to keep what grass they do have at a reasonable length. Ihungo is lacking two things in this regard: a groundskeeper, and any sort of lawnmower. Instead, we allow a travesty to occur. I'll elaborate. Every day, after classes end and the students get lunch, it is time to do what we call "usafi". This means general cleanliness, but is especially related to how the campus looks. So what ends up happening is that every day, a shocking number of students are sent to cut the grass for an hour or two. Yesterday, it was the entire enrollment out there cutting. The reason this bothers me so much is that the kids are using hand sickles to perform their task. Not sickles with long handles, no the little crescent kind that are less than a foot long. So I walk around campus in the afternoon to be greeted by hundreds of students bent over the grass, working. It is a monumental waste of time. I imagine yearly, tens of thousands of students' hours are spent cutting grass alone. This is no overestimate. So what I'm thinking is that, if my school could get several, maybe five or so, of those old rotating push-mower things, they could do this work in a small fraction of the time, and this would free them up to do things like study or rest. I don't know the logistics of finding a way to get those grass-cutter things over here, but if anyone has a benevolent soul and wants to save these kids from an insane amount of time-wasting work, any information would help me. I don't want to get a gas-powered mower because it would not last for as long, there are too many working parts. But these old things, they would be perfect... Let me know.

The second thing is again with my library. I'm in the process of writing some organizations which coordinate shipping books to African schools/libraries, but I don't really know the process, and I'm not sure how they will respond. I was talking with a girl teaching at a school nearby, and she gave me a great idea. She said she wrote home and asked her family/friends/associates/people-like-Davis to try to plan book drives, especially at places like her old elementary and high schools, churches, and local libraries, etc... What she called it was "Book and a Buck", and each person that donated a book also gave a dollar, to help pay the shipping cost. I thought this was a pretty dang good idea, largely because of the response she said she received. She has gotten dozens of boxes of various types of books, so many that her library is running out of shelf room and she had to write and say "No more!" For those of you who are looking to help me out in an easy way, this would be it. If you don't know anything about old lawnmowers, then maybe you know something about rallying people for a small book drive. If you are wondering what types of books to send, anything is good, really. Our library is really shoddy now, the most recent books were printed in the '60s. I have talked to students about it, and they are pumped. They come into the library, look around for something to read, and end up disappointed and leave with empty hands. So yeah, I don't really know what else to say. If you want to help, drop me a line if you have any questions. Thanks a lot (preemptively) for any of you who even try to help. Its much appreciated. Really. Thats it for today, lets do the thing and create some readers. Maybe this will help their English skills huh?

8 Comments:

  • At 4/22/2006 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Book and a Buck...
    Sounds like a good idea.

    That's garbage that they kept all those condoms from being distributed. It is awful.

    I ate brie and watched Braveheart yesterday and thought of you. Do you need Braveheart? I think I know the answer to that.

    They've got those grampa mowers for $30 at the hardware store near me, but they weigh about forty pounds. I have no idea how to get one of those to you.

    -Andrew

     
  • At 4/24/2006 4:30 PM, Blogger Scott said…

    Have you ever thought about the character building aspect of cutting grass by hand? Are you sure the school isn't just gonna have them scrub tile with toothbrushes once you get the mowers? :)

     
  • At 4/24/2006 11:36 PM, Blogger Jimmy said…

    Farrisimo-
    Glad to see that you are enjoying your time in Africa, I enjoy living my desires of worldly travel through yours, boyds and that intoxicated irishman jackson's blogs. And of course shaefer's ridiculous life too makes mine feel so small. Keep it up, it's always entertaining to read.

    If per chance i find some books or an ancient technique of Vietnamese grass cutting that I could send your way, where would I send it to? And what kind of books are you looking for?

    -The Dang

     
  • At 4/25/2006 2:04 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    Bro (Andrew)- Yeah, I'm thinking about writing a grant to get them sent here, I imagine shipping one of those isn't cheap, per se. Dude, also there is a guy here with a Braveheart t-shirt. One the front is a stunning Scottish Mel Gibson, and on the back are the words from his freedom speech. I've never wanted to steal a shirt so badly.

    Scott Boyd- Say, weren't you in the military...? This sounds somehow familiar. I figure the school would come up with something new for them. like eating all the chalk dust or something. Yeesh.

    The Dang- Nice to hear from you man. I check your blog out from time to time, and it always makes me feel lazy. You are a med school animal, man. Glad you manage to find the time to check out what I do here. And thanks for being interested in helping, here's an overly long answer to your question:

    I've been asked by a few people what books to send, so I'll make a short list.
    1)educational books
    -this includes any sort of old texts, even from middle shcool or elementary level. also dictionaries, and for you librarians, encyclopedias. they all will be used, seriously.
    2)fiction books
    -I mentioned one kid likes Harry Potter. thats a good example of what kind of fiction is best. it uses simple English words and they are able to understand it entirely. i would say 'young adult' fiction would be awesome, and even stuff like the Hardy Boys (which was the coolest thing in the world when I was 9 or so) would be great. that being said, all fiction is good. they watch American movies without understanding whats happening, I think they will enjoy reading books where they can go at their own speed. even nora roberts is cool, a story is a story.
    3) whatever else you've got lying around.
    -there are instructional books from the fifties on how to train you dog to catch a frisbee, and various things of that nature. non-fiction, like histories or biographies are good too.

    If you can't tell, its all good. The school admin is super pumped that I am trying to get new books, but nowhere near as pumped as the students. Thanks for anyone who is even considering sending some.

     
  • At 4/25/2006 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I bet they have a factory that makes pushmowers in South Africa, that would probably be easiest and cheapest to import.

    _JP_

     
  • At 4/26/2006 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are you going for a streak of using a Killers lyric in every post?

     
  • At 4/30/2006 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If no one's reading that instructional book about dog training and frisbees, can you send it to me? You're supper awesome. Thanks

     
  • At 5/02/2006 3:31 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    Ivan- As far as I know I've only stooped so low this once. But I'm glad you caught that. The next post will be titled Mr. Brightside or something, and it will be a bit more obvious.

    JP- good call. however, all my friends in South Africa haven't been answering their phones or email lately...or I don't have any. I should check that out though, you're right.

    Shahram- I'm supper awesome? Is that a pickup line or what...? And yes, I will save that book for you. Right now one of my students is crying because I took it from him to give you to. You're a jerk.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home